Saturday, July 19, 2008

Iblings Family Reunion

On Friday, July 11th we traveled to Vancouver to pick up my brother Will who has been at Bible School in New Zealand this last year. (Check out http://www.capernwray.org.nz) I can't even explain how good it is to have him home-he is a changed man and it's awesome! Isaiah talks about him all the time and I don't mind one bit if he wants to emulate Will and the lifestyle of serving and loving and giving that I've seen come out in him even more since being away. Did I mention how good it is to have him home? For now that is...I know he'll be off again soon. Will was barely home three days when we all headed up to Cedar Springs Retreat Center for a reunion with my dad's side of the family. 70+ Iblings at one location can be a bit overwhelming at times, but it was wonderful! This season of life doesn't afford me much time to sit and talk to people without distraction (we'll call those distractions Isaiah & Elias!), but just being there to see the growth in our extended family was so encouraging. We meet every three years and spend four days together. How grateful I am to belong to such a group that loves being together and that takes great effort to gather from all across the US and Canada to celebrate our heritage and our Creator.
Isaiah and 2nd cousin Lillian spent most of the day chasing each other around the grounds, kicking the soccer ball, playing games and reading books. I can't wait to see what kind of mischief they get in at the next reunion when they are six instead of three!
One of the big blessings was getting to see my Grandpa Willard again. He is 86 and is starting to show his age both in physical and mental capacities. He connected very quickly and very well with the boys though and the picture of him giving high fives to Isaiah or just holding Elias' little hand will forever be etched in my memories. A firm reminder to love well and as often as you can while you have the chance here on earth. All in all the last two weeks has reminded me again about how thankful I am for family and how we are created to be in community with our families. Check back again in three years for the next Iblings Family Reunion Update!


1 comment:

Kimmer said...

It looks like you guys had a great time together. And, I think that your boys are pretty darn cute distractions! Can't wait to see you soon!

Love,
Kim